- Launched December 2018
- Collection finished
- Prepare submission
- Dialog with recipient
KEM | Kliniken Essen-Mitte gGmbH management has the intention of renovating and changing the function of the Evang. Huyssens-Stiftung chapel. The architect duo Baruccopfeifer have already been commissioned to design a sacred space and event venue to replace it. This design plans to turn the historic chapel into a white, featureless, uneasy and sterile multifunctional space. The ceiling ornaments from the thirties are being cited as one of the reasons behind this move. Through this petition, it is our aim to put a stop to the renovation of the said chapel.
- The current building complex with its chapel was built in the historic 1930s, after the seizure of power by the National Socialists, making this chapel a witness to those remarkable events.
- After the end of the war, nobody took interest in these ceiling ornaments until the 1980s. Only then did people start talking about these ceiling decorations, but nothing was ever done about it.
- The renovation is being funded by foundations and banks to the tune of € 75,000 - an amount which is much more needed elsewhere (for example, the renovation of CH1, GYON, IM1, IMSE, MKG, ON1 stations).
- The chapel is a cultural asset, a retreat, and above all, a place of reflection for patients and visitors of this Christian institution.
- We can imagine that the older generations would not be able to identify with the renovated chapel because the new design does not at all resemble any sacred building.
This petition has been translated into the following languages
on 18 Dec 2018
Sehr geehrte Unterstützende,
die Petition wurde gemäß unserer Nutzungsbedingungen überarbeitet. Die temporäre Sperrung wurde wieder aufgehoben und die Petition kann nun weiter unterzeichnet werden.
Wir bedanken uns für Ihr Engagement!
on 16 Dec 2018