- Launched June 2020
- Collection finished
- Prepare submission
- Dialog with recipient
Covid-19 imposed unexpected challenges und burdens on all members of university: Many students lost their job and are not able to pay their rent anymore. Employees are working overtime to provide high-quality, digital learning resources for students while not being paid for their extra work. The number of women publishing in scientific journals decreases disproportionally because they have less time to focus on their career during the crisis…
In light of this radically new situation unter_bau published a list of demands on how to deal with the consequences of Covid-19 at Goethe-University on March 13, 2020.
This list includes, among others, the following demands:
- The establishment of a university-owned aid fund for students in need, as well as the use of state- and nationwide emergency aids,
- the optional suspension of the semester count for students during the pandemic,
- the relief of university members with care obligations by reducing the planned working hours with full wage compensation,
- the long-term expansion of the university infrastructure for childcare,
- the abrogation of time-limited employment contracts for mid-level faculty and administrative and technical staff, in addition to newly created positions to expand the university's digital infrastructure,
- the employment of students as teaching or research assistants must be based on a collective labor agreement.
When you study or work at Goethe University, you show with your signature that you support these six demands and that you are committed to responsible cooperation at the university.
In this regard, we appeal to the governing bodies of the Goethe University Frankfurt to assume their responsibilities and to ensure good framework conditions for all status groups in the current summer semester 2020 and beyond, instead of ignoring the obvious problems in the "Corona semester". If you want, you can leave a message under "Motivation" to indicate the department you are working or studying in, and your status group (students, mid-level faculty, administrative and technical staff, external employees). This helps us to show the presiding committee how urgent it is to implement these demands at Goethe University.
Following the publication of our demands in March, as well as critical comments on social media and reports from members of various status groups on our homepage, the petition is a further step towards reaching the leadership of Goethe University to address the demands of the various status groups. Amidst the current situation, we call on all those who work or study at Goethe University to join together and organize in order to take responsibility ourselves, and thus become more independent of hierarchical management bodies.
unter_bau develops concrete, self-organized alternatives to the current hierarchical, neoliberal university system. If you want to read the eight-page document with our demands in detail, you can find it on our homepage (https://unterbau.org/2020/04/19/semesterbeginn-aktualisiert-forder-zur-corona-rise-von-unter_bau/).
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on social media if you want to learn more about our work, or if you want to fight with us for a good university for everyone. Feel free to shoot us a message, if you have any questions or comments about the petition.