- Launched February 2021
- Time remaining > 3 Wochen
- Dialog with recipient
The fact that our planet is suffering seems obvious to more and more people – and rightfully so. Any individual actions, such as certain political decisions (coal phase-out) or choices of individual citizens like 'cycling instead of traveling by car', are an important contribution to environmental protection, but remain a drop in the ocean. We will not achieve the necessary turn to save the planet if politics makes only half-hearted decisions and each of us perceives this issue but does not implement decisive steps in their daily life. We need a simple and uniform incentive system.
With a single political decision, everything can be changed. Both the entire industry and every single citizen can be persuaded to make a decisive contribution to the protection of the planet.
Scientists are certainly able to calculate to what extent a product (a product group or service) harms or helps the planet (the environment). For this, all raw materials and components as well as energy consumption and other environmental impacting factors must be taken into account. From that point, a certain tax class can be determined by the harmfulness of a product. I bet that as soon as this kind of tax is introduced (as a replacement for the current VAT), all companies will immediately deal with environmental protection.
Since almost all companies are in competition and are in particular constantly striving for profit optimization, they will of course contribute to the protection of the planet without any further regulation. This happens simply because an environmental tax influences their profit calculations. Also, each of us will automatically and naturally contribute to the protection of the planet through a new price structure created by the environmental tax. If an environmentally harmful product is much more expensive than an environmentally friendly product, we will automatically pay attention to it while shopping. Services that are designed to protect the environment would also automatically be cheaper. They could even be funded by the environmental tax. This is “Sustainability made easy”!
The whole thing is paid "by itself" - through a new planetary tax. This new tax should simply replace today's non-environmental tax called VAT.
Sounds radical? It’s not! The existing main market economy mechanisms remain in force, only the direction is reshaped. The income through the new tax can be calculated to deliver the same money value as the current income from VAT does. The new tax will not change the tax revenue - only the tax key. At the beginning, this change requires a certain amount of effort - the new tax brackets have to be calculated but(!) it would change our world immediately and permanently giving the entire market economy a completely new direction. This new market economy will be environmentally friendly and will not impact people’s wealth – it will rather save it.
The aim of this petition is to ensure that the Federal Government and the Bundestag join their forces, hire an appropriate group of scientists and take further binding steps to convert today's VAT into an environmental planetary tax.
So, let’s start now! We have to flip the switch!
If we find enough supporters to sign this petition, the politicians cannot refuse this simple and effective idea.
- This decision is very simple in comparison to the positive impact it will unfold, and it is easy to understand for everyone
- With a single change, significant progress on environmental protection can finally be made and we can rescue our planet
- As a law, this regulation changes our view of environmental protection - an uncomfortable duty becomes a usual daily standard
- This change would not threaten the principle of the market economy mechanism which is in force today and will therefore have little negative impact on society’s prosperity
- A single law instead of many individual initiatives and actions - everything widely discussed about environmental protection today will be regulated at one point
- A good template for a global environmental concept - Germany could once again become a good example for everyone else in the world
on 29 Mar 2021
Tools for the spreading of the petition.
You have your own website, a blog or an entire web portal? Become an advocate and multiplier for this petition. We have the banners, widgets and API (interface) to integrate on your pages.
- Number of signatures on openPetition and, if applicable, external pages.
- HTTP method
- Return format